Monday, January 28, 2008

Networking

As a major complement to my research, I will be exploring a variety of resources that both Professor Dholakia and myself determine will be beneficial to our understanding of the economic climates of the region. I will be developing a valuable network of individuals, those who have done business in the Middle East, lived in the region, attend school in the region, are in academia or are connected through politics in one way or another.

I was directed to my first contact through my father, Stephen, who lives and works in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He has a business contact who he knows personally and professionally, by the name of David Culp. David is the President and CEO of Luichart International, LLC, which was established in June, 2007 with the merging of World Trade Group Inc, based in Pittston, Pennsylvania, and Luichart Technology Ltd. They have conducted business in many regions of the world, including China and the UK, and are currently focused on extensive alternative energy systems as well as RFID technology and asset management systems. They are committed to commercialize and bring these innovative technologies to the market.

In a very detailed email conversation with David, he discussed his ideas for a venture into the promising markets of Dubai: "
Back in May, Dr. Calvin Tan (his business partner) and I had discussed addressing the Middle East market with the manufacture of composite medical gas cylinders with an embedded RFID tag in freeport Mina Jebel Ali. We had talked seeking a joint venture with an Arab company, thus the product would be “local” and we could avoid import taxes and having an Arab partner naturally would make the product more attractive to Arab companies."

I am looking forward to continuing our discussion on the Middle East and discovering more about his business talks with investors. I am particularly interested in learning more about the business culture in the region, if it is the traditional, conservative environment, or if it is a hybrid of old traditions and new western ideas. I will post updates to our ongoing conversations, and hope to introduce new contacts whom engage in business dealings in the region as my research progresses.

-KD

No comments: